Historic Markers Across Alabama



Burns' Shoals



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: can be reached from Greensboro Avenue north of 2nd Street (Jack Warner Parkway). Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.842    W 087° 34.298
  33.21403333    -87.57163333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, which extends nearly 2000 miles to Canada. From here upstream the riverbed is primarily rock while downstream is is sand, silt and gravel. It was head of navigation on the river and thus a primary reason for the founding of Tuscaloosa. It was used as an early ford and bathing site, and later provided a solid foundation for a succession of bridges. During construction of Old Locks One, Two and Three (1888-1895), it was channelized to allow the passage of river traffic.

Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Burns' Shoals