Historic Markers Across Alabama



Rotunda Plaza



Marker ID:  
Location: west side of the front steps to the Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library, Building #1013, on the Campus of the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.688    W 087° 32.771
  33.21146666    -87.54618333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Rotunda Plaza is dedicated to
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey
(Classes of 1950 and 1951, respectively)

In recognition of the establishment in 1992 of the
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey Library Endowment Fund,
ensuring continued excellence of library and information
services to The University of Alabama.

The Flagstones embedded in this plaza mark the original foundations
of the Rotunda, which housed the first library of the University of
Alabama, and which, on April 4, 1865, was burned by Federal Troops.
Rediscovered and excavated in 1984, the foundations symbolize the
link between the Library's past and its future.








End of Rotunda Plaza