Historic Markers Across Alabama



Historic Site



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of 15th Street and Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.009    W 087° 33.837
  33.20015    -87.56395
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFAAX
 



Text:

Tuscaloosa’s oldest house, The McGuire-Strickland, was built on this site ca. 1820; first occupant, Moses McGuire, Tuscaloosa County’s first Probate Judge, State Representative 1845; sold to Dr. Rueben Searcy 1849; to the Presbyterian Church 1851 as church manse. occupied by Rev. Robert B. White before and during the Civil War; 1866 Milton Strickland, Civil War veteran, purchased for his family home. To “save” the structure, Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society moved it to Capitol Park 1970; property acquired by SouthTrust Bank of Tuscaloosa County 1988.

Erected 1989 by SouthTrust Bank of Tuscaloosa County.







End of Historic Site