Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wilson-Clements House



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This one story brick cottage was built ca. 1837 for the Benjamin S. Wilson family. Its overall form--a gabled main block with the rear slope of the roof extending over shed rooms at the back--is typical of smaller Tuscaloosa and Northport houses of the antebellum period. The dwelling had several owners until 1910, when Alonzo Clements purchased it and soon after added the frame rear wing and probably the front porch. Woodrow W. Clements, grandson of Alonzo Clements, acquired the property in 1936 and lived there when he began working for the Dr Pepper Company. Clements became president and CEO of Dr Pepper in 1970 and chairman in 1974. The house was extensively renovated in 1984.

Alabama Register of Historic Places July 28, 1975







End of Wilson-Clements House