Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church of Northport



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This congregation was organized as Hopewell Colored Baptist Church in 1887 by Reverends Andrew Thomas, Jordan Austin and C. B. Mosley. In 1909 a frame church building was erected on this site under the leadership of Rev. C. J. Jenkins. When the sanctuary burned in 1911, services were temporarily held in a building on Tanyard, now 10th Street. The church purchased adjacent land in 1912 during the tenure of Rev. C. H. Taylor. Under the guidance of Rev. W. C. Owens the present structure of rusticated concrete blocks, handmade in Northport, was erected in 1913. The name was changed to First Colored Baptist Church of Northport during the term of Rev. J. F. Brooks, 1916-1923. Pastors who served from 1923-1936 were Reverends M. Rhodes, M. C. McKinney, J. F. Martin, J. D. Austin, C. H. George and A. G. McKinley. A basement was added to the existing building and an adjacent education wing was erected during the tenure of Rev. O. S. Harvey, 1937-1977. The name was changed to First Baptist Church of Northport, and a comprehensive nursery program was organized during the pastorate of Rev. Elbert Sparks, Jr., 1977-1981.

Erected 1993 as a project of the Missionary Society, Circle #3








End of First Baptist Church of Northport