Historic Markers Across Alabama



Beautiful Zion African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church



Marker ID: AHC 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This congregation was organized c. 1870 by freed slaves who had met for several years prior to that in homes to sing & pray. The first church was a bush arbor on the old Kehoe, or Caple place. It remained there a decade before a wood frame structure was built on the Sanders Ferry Road. In 1896, under the direction of Peter Brown & Doe Carson the present site was purchased & a church built. A storm soon destroyed that building & a second sanctuary was built to replace it. The third church building on this site was built in 1905 under the direction of Rev. C. A. Cook and used until 1925, when it was replaced by the present structure, which has been renovated several times. The Rt. Rev. J. Clinton Hoggard, Bishop The Rt. Rev. Dr. F. D. Mayweather, Presiding Elder The Rev. Dr. J. D. Windsor, Sr., Pastor.

Erected 1983 by the Congregation







End of Beautiful Zion African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church