Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bethel Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally organized (1818) as Bethel Baptist Church by three ministers-Nathan Roberts, James Baines and Thomas Baines-at home of Jeremiah Jeffery near falls of Black Warrior River. Log building erected at this site (1822) as first church house. Later moved to present site and frame building erected. Church discontinued (1870) because of membership loss.

Bethel Presbyterian Church established on same site (1901) by evangelist D. N. Yarbro. Present structure erected 1948; educational building added 1958.







End of Bethel Presbyterian Church