Historic Markers Across Alabama



Byler Road



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

One-half mile east is a portion of the original Byler Road. Legislation authorizing construction signed into law December 1819, by Alabama's first governor, William Wyatt Bibb. Built by John Byler, it was Alabama's first public road. Opened November 1822, operated as a toll road until 1834. Twelve feet wide, it connected Northwest Alabama and the Tennessee River to the Warrior River at Northport.
Used by early settlers and military forces during War Between the States, it was a factor in the development of many Alabama communities.







End of Byler Road