Historic Markers Across Alabama



Coker Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 14608 Romulus Road, Coker, AL
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 14.655    W 087° 41.127
  33.24425    -87.68545
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Coker Baptist Church



Constituted as Big Creek Baptist Church on July 22, 1820 by Daniel Brown and Thomas Baines (ancestor of President Lyndon B. Johnson) with Phillip May as first pastor, Joseph Barrett and Charles Pate as first deacons. As the third oldest church in the county, it was one of the 13 organizing the Tuscaloosa Baptist Association in 1834. Prior to 1864 church records show 148 slaves as members. First located adjacent to Bluff Branch School and Meetinghouse, next to Big Creek Cemetery; moved to its present site in 1944. The name changed to Coker Baptist in 1956. Setting of the marker in July 1995 commemorates the 175th Anniversary of the Church.


995 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Coker Baptist Church