Historic Markers Across Alabama



Jennings Chapel United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized 1847 as first and only Methodist Protestant Church established in Tuscaloosa Co. On this site were first two structures used by Jennings Chapel. The first, a log house built circa 1850 and a clapboard building erected November 1890. Brick structure completed 1956.

John H. Harper, Sr. organized this church, serving as its first pastor for over 30 years. Named for Dr. Samuel K. Jennings, a physician and minister of national note, in early years of Methodist Protestant Church. First trustees were: Dr. Samuel K. Jennings, John H. Harper, Sr., John C. Hamner, Turner P. Hamner, and Richard H. Hamner.








End of Jennings Chapel United Methodist Church