Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Lock One



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Tuscaloosa Riverwalk
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The remains of Old Lock One are now submerged. Authorized by Congress in 1884, the Army Corps of Engineers began work on one of Alabama’s first locks in 1888. It was built upon Peg Leg Shoals, second of the “Falls of Tuscaloosa,” using local sandstone at a cost of $233,234. It was part of a 1.2-mile, 3-lock system that allowed passage over a series of shoals or waterfalls The opening of Old Lock One allowed access to the Warrior coalfields and shipment of coal, stone, iron, steel, lumber, cotton, and other products to distant markets. Also it was the site of a government boatyard. In later years it was renamed Lock Ten and remained in service until replaced by Oliver Lock and Dam in 1939.







End of Old Lock One