Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Mildred Warner House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 30th Ave. East, Tuscaloosa, AL
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Residence of many prominent Alabama families. Originally built by James Jenkins in 1822 as a two-room "cabin." David Scott, prominent merchant and church leader, purchased the property in 1832 and added the four-story brick structure. Occupied by the Burwell Boykin Lewis family in 1886. Rose Garland Lewis was daughter of the president of the University of Alabama and the window of a U.S. Congressman who was the first alumnus of the University to become its president. Noted historian of Tuscaloosa, Dr. George Little lived here with his family at the turn of the century.

The Washington Moodys came into possession in 1919. Mrs. Moody lived in the house, after her husband's death in 1924, until 1960. Listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1934, the first Tuscaloosa home to be so honored. Purchased and restored in 1976 by The David Warner Foundation under the direction of Jack W. Warner and named for his mother, Mildred Westervelt Warner.







End of The Mildred Warner House