Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuscaloosa Landing



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Tuscaloosa Riverwalk
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tuscaloosa’s first port developed on the south side of the river just downstream of the present bridge. In 1816 John Click brought goods upriver to this landing while Isaac Cannon made a 36-day trip to Mobile in a 40-foot dugout canoe. Commercial barges built by Col. Gabriel Penn in 1817 made trips to St. Stephens, the territorial capital. In 1818 Hiram Cochrane began building keelboats. In 1821 the “Cotton Plant” was the first steamboat arrival. A number of early industries including a tannery, cotton factories and a foundry were located in the general area. These pioneers laid a foundation for the development of Tuscaloosa and West Alabama. Construction of Oliver Lock and Dam flooded this landing in 1939.







End of Tuscaloosa Landing