Historic Markers Across Alabama



Queen Park



Marker ID: ABT 
Location:
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

QUEEN CITY PARK
1926


In l926, the City of Tuscaloosa purchased a 31acre tract of land that would become Queen City Park. Amenities were added utilizing funds from President Roosevelt’s Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Works Project Administration (WPA). Some of the structures were constructed with stones quarried from the banks of the Black Warrior River. These include a wall and gate at the top of the hill, gazebo, barbecue pit, bench, steps, bridge, and a stone and brick-lined nature trail. One of Tuscaloosa’s first softball fields was built in 1937 at the present site of the library. Horse shows were held at the park in the late l930s. A grand pool, bathhouse, fountain, and bleachers designed by architect Don Buel Schuyler, a student of world renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright, were dedicated May 18, 1943. The art deco and art modern styles were popular from the 1920s to the early 1940s. This project was funded by the David Warner Foundation in memory of David Warner Jr. (1916-1931) and WPA funds. The pool closed in the late 1980s. The pool complex and other park structures were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.



Side 2:
In l926, the City of Tuscaloosa purchased a 31acre tract of land that would become Queen City Park. Amenities were added utilizing funds from President Roosevelt’s Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Works Project Administration (WPA). Some of the structures were constructed with stones quarried from the banks of the Black Warrior River. These include a wall and gate at the top of the hill, gazebo, barbecue pit, bench, steps, bridge, and a stone and brick-lined nature trail. One of Tuscaloosa’s first softball fields was built in 1937 at the present site of the library. Horse shows were held at the park in the late l930s. A grand pool, bathhouse, fountain, and bleachers designed by architect Don Buel Schuyler, a student of world renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright, were dedicated May 18, 1943. The art deco and art modern styles were popular from the 1920s to the early 1940s. This project was funded by the David Warner Foundation in memory of David Warner Jr. (1916-1931) and WPA funds. The pool closed in the late 1980s. The pool complex and other park structures were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992








End of Queen Park