Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gilgal Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 3000 Bear Creek Road E, Duncanville, AL
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 17.413    W 087° 30.024
  33.29021666    -87.5004
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Gilgal Baptist Church


Organized September 1828 with 13 charter members. Joab Pratt, first pastor, served 13 years receiving 324 members, 135 during the revival and October 1834. The church fostered ministry to slaves during the early years.

Original church house of logs was built in 1828. Replaced by larger wood structure 1856 which serves as fellowship hall today. Present brick structure was built in 1965.

Dr. Basil Manly, second president of University of Alabama and co-founder of Southern Baptist Seminary served as pastor 1850 – 1851. Alvia W Thompson, an outstanding layman, served as church clerk for 50 years. Larry H Lee, present pastor since 1973.

Alabama Historical Association 1978







End of Gilgal Baptist Church