Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tubbs Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Walker
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

South Carolina-born Daniel Tubbs (February 17, 1794-25 March 1882) enlisted in the War of 1812 and fought in the final battle at New Orleans. Honorably discharged in Nashville on April 20, 1815, he and his wife, Matilda Sanders, settled on this site (Section 2, Township 15, Range 8) in November 1835. By 1840, a community building was erected for community gatherings, children's schooling, and a variety of denominations' worship services. The Tubbs Cemetery was placed nearby.

Later moving to land granted him for service during the War in 1812, Daniel gave his land to his two sons, Daniel Lee and Samuel. Samuel Tubbs (April 4, 1824-27 September 1902) served in the 6th Alabama Infantry during the Civil War. Captured in May 1864 in Decatur, he was imprisoned at Rock Island, Illinois, until the end of the war. He returned to the Tubbs community in 1865 to purchase an additional 280 acres of land, the mineral rights to which he donated to the Georgia Pacific Railroad in return for rail service to the Oakman area. His wife, Malinda Cranford, and his children are buried alongside Samuel in the Tubbs Cemetery, as are descendants of Daniel Lee Tubbs and his wife, Emily Cranford.







End of Tubbs Cemetery