Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fruitdale Union Chapel - 1904



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Washington
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In the fall of 1902, two men and three ladies, A.J. Hand, George B. Davis, Isabella Youse, Abbie C. Mareness, and Mary Gooding, filed a declaration to form the Fruitdale Union Chapel Association. Property on which to build the church was acquired from the Fruitdale Land Company, C.F. Hitchcock, president, by a deed dated November 14, 1902. The ladies of the community engaged in various projects to raise money for the church. Materials were donated and men of the community did much of the work. The first service was held in the completed chapel on Easter Sunday, 1904.







End of Fruitdale Union Chapel - 1904