Historic Markers Across Alabama



South Oak Grove Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Fire Tower Road, Fruitdale, AL
County: Washington
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Founded in 1880 as Oak Grove Baptist Church, the congregation added “South” to its name in ca. 1912. The church began under the Macedonia Baptist Association and, in 1919, joined with the Washington County Baptist Association. Among its many pastors was one, Brother J.W. Singley, who served over fifty years. Until Fruitdale High School opened in 1924, the church also served as a community school.
The community and the state jointly owned the property until October 1950, when Governor James E. Folsom and Washington County Schools Superintendent A.R. Meadows, for a promissory note of $50.00, sold the school board’s interest to members of the South Oak Grove Baptist Church and their successors. The church stands on the foundation of Christ’s love and meeting the spiritual needs of the surrounding area.







End of South Oak Grove Baptist Church