Historic Markers Across Alabama



Andrews Chapel



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Jefferson Davis Hwy at County RD 35, McIntosh, AL
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 31° 15.725    W 088° 01.815
  31.26208333    -88.03025
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJMPZ
 



Text:

Andrews Chapel, also known as the McIntosh Log Church, is one of the few remaining log churches in Alabama. In 1860, John C. Rush and his wife donated land for the church to the McIntosh Community. Shortly afterwards, the church was constructed and named for James O. Andrews, a bishop in the Methodist Church. The log church is secured on the ends by square notching and caulking in the cracks. The roof is covered with wood shingles. In 1952, a new church was constructed and Andrews Chapel was vacated. It is currently used for special occasions. Andrews Chapel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Erected by the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Andrews Chapel