Historic Markers Across Alabama



Prairie Mission - A United Presbyterian Mission



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of State Highway 28 and McCall Road (Prairie Mission Road), Catherine, AL
County: Wilcox
Coordinates: N 32° 8.552    W 087° 25.927
  32.14253333    -87.43211666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Prairie Mission
A United Presbyterian Mission
Prairie, Alabama
1894-1968


Prairie Mission was established in 1894 by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church of North America to educate the children of ex-slaves. The Mission consisted of a church, school building, dormitories for male and female students, a teachers’ home and a cemetery. The school, also known as Prairie Institute during its history, was discontinued in the late 1960‟s. The church still maintains an active congregation. Prairie Mission was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission







End of Prairie Mission - A United Presbyterian Mission