Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pine Apple Historic District / Pine Apple, Alabama



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of State Road 10 and Ruthuen Cutoff Road, Pine Apple, AL
County: Wilcox
Coordinates: N 31° 51.628    W 086° 59.728
  31.86046666    -86.99546666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHYWN
 



Text:

Pine Apple Historic District
Pine Apple, Alabama


Founded in 1825, the town of Pine Apple became a regional commercial center due to its strategic location as the end of the Selma to Pensacola Railroad line from 1871 to the 1890s. The progressive spirit of Pine Apple during the centennial period 1850 to 1950 is reflected in its historic commercial, residential, civic, educational, and religious architecture, namely the Bank of Pine Apple building, Pine Apple Water Tower and Waterworks building, Moore Academy, Matheson Community Library, Pine Apple Methodist Church and Friendship Baptist Church. Residential architecture ranges from 19th century cottages and early 20th century bungalows to more academic application of the Greek Revival, Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival styles.

In contrast to the surrounding relics of a sleepy antebellum plantation south, the historic buildings of Pine Apple spark images of a bustling Deep South mercantile and educational center at the turn of the 20th century.

In all, the Pine Apple Historic District, entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 26, 1999, includes 73 properties from the mid-19th to the mid-20th century.

Erected 2005 by Alabama Historical Commission and by Pine Apple Promotions.







End of Pine Apple Historic District / Pine Apple, Alabama