Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pine Hill, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Broad Street (County Road 59), Pine Hill, Alabama
County: Wilcox
Coordinates: N 31° 58.77    W 087° 35.258
  31.9795    -87.58763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

PINE HILL, ALABAMA
Incorporated December 2, 1895


This area was Choctaw Indian country before the arrival of settlers moving south and west in this new nation.

The first settlement, know as Arnold, was located 1 mile north of the present town center. Mr. Charley A. Sheldon from Massachusetts, scouting for timber, described the area as that "pine hill;" thus the first Post Office was given the name Pine Hill when established in 1839. The arrival of the railroad in 1888 was the catalyst that brought Pine Hill to its present location. Many of the original settlers came from North and South Carolina. Among early families were Arnold, Brewer, Evans, Fuller, Gorman, Hall, Hare, Jordan, Lindsey, Mayton, Morgan, Shamburger, Sheffield, and Small.

There were other settlements in the area that contributed to the population of Pine Hill, namely Yellow Bluff, Bethel and Enon.

Important events in the development and growth of Pine Hill are listed on the reverse side of this marker.


Side 2:
IMPORTANT EVENTS IN HISTORY OF PINE HILL

1839 - Establishment of Post Office
1856 - Dr. J.A. Thompson, first doctor
1888 - Birmingham & Mobile Railroad
1890 - First official school
1894 - First church building - Pine Hill Baptist Church
1895 - Town of Pine Hill incorporated
1895 - Clay Sheffield Bank established
1903 - Vredenburgh Saw Mill Co.
1911 - Alabama & Northwestern Railroad
1925 - Telephone system
1927 - Electrical service
1946 - Bank of Pine Hill chartered
1951 - Municipal water system built
1952 - Town Volunteer Fire Department
1966 - MacMillan-Bloedel Wood Products Complex
1966 - Municipal airport built
1967 - Natural gas distribution system

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Pine Apple.







End of Pine Hill, Alabama