Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Oak Hill



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Oak Hill, AL
County: Wilcox
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Originally known as “The Ridge,” Oak Hill was settled c. 1830 primarily by former South Carolinians. During the early 1800s, the Ebenezer Methodist Campground was located here. Due to a malaria outbreak, settlers from nearby Hamburg moved to Oak Hill in the 1840s. In 1856, Bethel Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was established. A Baptist church was erected in 1910 but disbanded c. 1928. One of the first African-American Lutheran congregations was established at Oak Hill.


Side 2:
The Oak Hill Academy, a boarding school for girls, existed here 1849 - 1869. In the 1870s a coeducational school was established which was eventually absorbed into the public school system. The school closed in the 1940s.

A post office was established in 1894. Circa 1900, Oak Hill had 4 general stores, a drug store, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and a Masonic hall. In 1940, Oak Hill was incorporated as a town.

Benjamin Meek Miller, Alabama Governor 1931-1935, was born here in 1864. He was known as the "sturdy oak of Wilcox".

In 1998 Oak Hill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.







End of Town of Oak Hill