Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Byler Road



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: Haleyville, AL
County: Winston
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Two days after Alabama was admitted as a State to the Union, the Legislature authorized the first State road to be built from Huntsville on the Tennessee River to Tuscaloosa on the Warrior River. William Wyatt Bibb, the first Governor of Alabama, approved the bill in Huntsville on December 16, 1819. John Byler was directed to build the road, clearing all stumps and roots for a width of twelve feet, which he completed in 1823. Connecting the Tennessee River Waterway with the Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway to Mobile Bay, it played a significant part in the early development of the State. After 1826, when Tuscaloosa became the State Capital, it was unquestionably "The Main Street of Northwest Alabama." The Union General James Harrison Wilson passed over the road in March, 1865 with 13,480 cavalrymen (one of the largest cavalry raids in world history) in route to Selma where he defeated Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest on April 2, 1865--the same day that Richmond fell.







End of The Byler Road