Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bethel School



Marker ID:  
Location: on Wilson Bend Road (County Route 12) north of County Route 242, Arley, Alabama
County: Winston
Coordinates: N 34° 1.119    W 087° 10.304
  34.01865    -87.17173333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Bethel School

First Known School In The Greater Arley Community


The Community’s first four settlers homesteaded land near this site in 1832. The little log schoolhouse, just 18 feet square, was built in 1874. The land, given by L. F. Hembree, is now the site of Bethel Cemetery. With no heat, a dirt floor, and split-long benches, the school played a major role in the development of Winston County. The first teacher, Isham P. Gibson, later became tax assessor and probate judge. A later teacher, John J. Curtis, became probate judge. One of the first students, Rev. Geo. W. Gibson, was the Community’s first historian and the County’s first farm demonstration agent. From its earliest days, the little schoolhouse also served as a church.

Erected 1979 by The Arley Community Historical Association.







End of Bethel School