Historic Markers Across Alabama



Nathan, Alabama



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Helicon Road (County Route 77) and Nathan Loop Raod (County Route 1285), Arley, Alabama
County: Winston
Coordinates: N 34° 4.924    W 087° 11.8
  34.08206666    -87.19666666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Old Country Town
Nathan, Alabama


Post office established May 9, 1908. Named for the first postmaster, Nathan B. Langley, who was succeeded by Robert C. Walker and David H. Hamner. Post office discontinued June 30, 1915; housed in a general store operated on this site by

Warren Hamner


patriarch of the Hamner family, successful merchant, community leader, and faithful churchman. Just east of this site stood old Nathan School, built as a church in 1898 and adapted for use as a school in 1911. First teacher was Robert F. Estes; the last, Mrs. Mollye Hamner Barron. In 1923 the school was consolidated with others to form Meek School.

Erected 1977 by The Arley Community Historical Association.









End of Nathan, Alabama