Historic Markers Across Alabama



Piney Ridge School



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of County Route 41 and County Route 275, Arley, Alabama
County: Winston
Coordinates: N 34° 2.2    W 087° 13.069
  34.03666666    -87.21781666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Pioneer School Site
Piney Ridge School


Originally known as Dismal School. Built of pine logs in 1900 on 1½ acres of land given by Zeb Humphreys, the building was about 20 feet square. Seats were rough board benches without backs. Students gathered pine knots to burn in the heating stove. Webster’s Blue-Back Speller, McGuffey’s Reader, and a writing slate were the prized possessions of every student. Chairmen of Trustees were Nathan Langley, Sam Key, Wash Key, and Martin Key. First teacher was John Connelley; the last,
Mrs. Rosa Gibson Fuller

The influence of the beloved old school and her pupils goes on and on. She was consolidated with Meek School in 1926.

Erected 1978 by The Arley Community Historical Association.







End of Piney Ridge School