Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Party Line - The “Talking Machine”



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of County Route 41 and Mellville Road, Arley, Alabama
County: Winston
Coordinates: N 34° 3.848    W 087° 13.333
  34.06413333    -87.22221666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Historic Corner
The Party Line
The “Talking Machine”


Here was located the switchboard known as “Central”, of Winston Telephone, Arley’s Grand Old Party Line. Built about 1909 by Mimm Wright, with an estimated maximum of 25 phones, she was the pulse of the community. When one phone rang, they all rang; and everybody “listened in”. The system died piece-meal, as she was built, and breathed her last about 1920. Also housed here was one of the earliest known phonographs in the community, owned by Ed Baldwin. People walked for miles to listen to “Uncle Josh”, “Casey Jones”, and “The Preacher and the Bear”. Those were the days!

Erected 1978 by The Arley Community Historical Association.







End of The Party Line - The “Talking Machine”