Historic Markers Across Florida



City of Gainesville



Marker ID: FLHM F-163
Location: between 1st St.NE & 3rd St.NE at Municipal Bldg on
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 39.154    W 082° 19.389
  29.65256666    -82.32315
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM34QM
 



Text:

Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth Alachua County Seat of government. The University of Florida and its educational predecessors have been located in Gainesville since the 1850´s.

F-163 Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials 1969


Notes:

City: Gainesville, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars