Historic Markers Across Florida



East Florida Seminary



Marker ID: FLHM F-166
Location: between 1st St.NE & 3rd St.NE at Municipal Bldg on
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 39.144    W 082° 19.381
  29.6524    -82.32301666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM34QQ
 



Text:

Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville´s need for higher education until the University of Florida was created bythe Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school building, erected after an earlier structure burned in 1833, was converted to use as a fellowship hall by the First Methodist Church, at 419 N.E. 1st Avenue.

F-166 Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials 1969


Notes:

City: Gainesville, FL