Historic Markers Across Florida



Alachua County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-191
Location: corner of Main (SR 329) & SE 1st St.
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 39.062    W 082° 19.501
  29.65103333    -82.32501666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC5X7
 



Text:

The Alachua County Commission, by authority of the Florida Legislature, selected this site for a courthouse in 1854, moving the county seat from Newnansville. The first courthouse was a frame building completed in 1856. It was demolished on the completion of a red brick courthouse in 1886. The current building, completed in 1958, and its 1962 addition, were erected in response to the continuing expansion of governmental needs in Alachua County.

Erected by Alachua County Historical Commission Authorized by the Board of County Commissioners In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: Gainesville, FL