Historic Markers Across Florida



Micanopy, Florida



Marker ID: FLHM F-706
Location: C.R. 25A at N.E. Peach Ave. in front of gazebo.
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 30.358    W 082° 16.777
  29.50596666    -82.27961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

A Timucua Indian village of the Potano tribe was located near here when the early Spanish Explorer Hernando De Soto led his expedition through the area in 1539. Botanist William Bartram visited Cuscawilla village nearby in 1774. The first permanent white settlement in what is now Alachua County, called Wanton, was started in 1821. Wanton Post Office was established in 1826; the name was changed to Micanopy in 1834. Fort Micanopy, also called Fort Defiance, stood near here during the Second Seminole War. Several skirmishes were fought nearby. The town was incorporated September 15, 1858.

Sponsored by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: Micanopy, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars