Historic Markers Across Florida



Railroading in High Springs



Marker ID: FLHM F-359
Location: 20 NW Railroad Ave., in front of High Springs
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 49.590    W 082° 35.878
  29.8265    -82.59796666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3J0J
 



Text:

This old passenger depot, built c. 1910, is all that remains of the vast railroad complex located southwest of downtown that made High Springs a bustling railroad center for nearly 50 years. In 1895 the Plant Railroad System chose the town as the site of its divisional headquarters. Rail yards, workshops, and a roundhouse serviced hundreds of steam engines and cars sent to High Springs to be cleaned and repaired. The importance of High Springs as a rail center declined as diesel engines replaced the old steam locomotives after World War II. Gradually, all of the railroad buildings disappeared, except the depot, which was moved to this site and renovated as a railroad museum in 1994.

F-359 Sponsored by the Florida Department of State 1995


Notes:

City: High Springs, FL