Historic Markers Across Florida



Moses Elias Levy



Marker ID: FLHM F-860
Location: Located in the median of Cholokka Blvd at NE Magnolia Ave.,
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 30.313    W 082° 16.773
  29.50521666    -82.27955
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQXFE
 



Text:

Moses Elias Levy


Moses Elias Levy (1782-1854), a Moroccan born Jewish merchant, came to Florida after its cession from Spain to the United States in 1821. Before his arrival, Levy acquired over 50,000 acres in East Florida. In 1822, Levy began development on Pilgrimage Plantation, just northwest of the future town of Micanopy. The plantation's main commodity was sugar cane, which Levy had reintroduced to Florida. Levy and his partners, including the Florida Association of New York, helped to draw Jewish settlers to the area with the goal of creating a refuge for oppressed European Jews in a communitarian settlement, the first on U.S. soil. Levy's efforts sparked significant economic development, spurring the growth of Micanopy from a small trading post to a bustling town. Pilgrimage was destroyed in 1835 during the Second Seminole War, but Levy's reform efforts continued. He promoted free public education and served as one of the territory's first Education Commissioners. He was also a vigorous advocate for the gradual abolition of slavery and the humane treatment of enslaved people. Levy was the father of David Levy Yulee, one of the first U.S. Senators from Florida and the first U.S. Senator of Jewish heritage in American history.

2015 - The Town of Micanopy, Micanopy Historical Society,
The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation,
and the Florida Department of State