Historic Markers Across Florida



Gainesville’s Only Artesian Spring



Marker ID:  
Location: in Boulware Springs Park, 3400 Southeast 15th St, Gainesville FL
County: Alachua
Coordinates: N 29° 37.24    W 082° 18.425
  29.62066666    -82.30708333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years.

In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of Florida to locate here.

Abandoned in 1948, upon the completion of a water treatment plant, water from the springs now flows onto Paynes Prairie providing a habitat for a diversity of birds, animals, fish and reptiles.