Historic Markers Across Florida



Confederate Salt Works



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: U.S. 98 past Phillips Inlet Bridge West of Panama
County: Bay
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Andrews Bay was a major source of salt for the Confederacy. An estimated 2,500 men were engaged in manufacturing salt of a very high quality. Containing numerous arms and an extensive shoreline, the landlocked Bay was sheltered and safe. Beginning in September, 1862, many Federal raids were directed against the works. Rebuilt as soon as Union forces destroyed them, the works remained in effective operation through February, 1865.


Notes:

City: Panama City, FL