Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Loftin's Ferry



Marker ID: FLHM F-459
Location: on Pitts Avenue 0.1 miles south of Aster Street, Parker, FL
County: Bay
Coordinates: N 30° 7.692    W 085° 36.648
  30.1282    -85.6108
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This site, originally known as Riviere´s Landing, was named for the early settler, Henry L. Riviere and is commemorating the founding of the City of Parker. In 1836, William M. Loftin became custom´s officer for the St. Andrews Bay and operator of a ferry from this point to Ferry point across St. Andrews Bay. This endeavor was part of the road system constructed from 1834 to 1838 under the supervision of Major J.D. Graham. The “Old Military Road” as it was known ran from Apalachicola to Marianna and beyond, and was the major land route through the bay area. Loftin´s Ferry was the beginning of the community that Loftin, Riviere and U.S. Representative Joseph M. White developed and named “Austerlitz.” This is significant for in 1886 the name was changed to “Parker” honoring the two separate families of Peter Parker and William Henry Parker. The City of Parker was established in September 1967, by charter and has remained a thriving, growing community ever since. Sponsors: City of Parker


Notes:

City: Parker, FL