Historic Markers Across Florida



The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks



Marker ID: FLHM F-477
Location: intersection of West Beach Drive (Business U.S. 98) and East Caroline Boulevard, Panama City, Florida
County: Bay
Coordinates: N 30° 9.824    W 85° 40.948
  30.16373    -85.68247
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8QK7
 



Text:

Between 1861 and 1865, the St. Andrew Bay Saltworks, one of the largest producers of salt in the South, contributed to the Confederate cause by providing salt, fish and cattle for southern troops and citizens. A necessary preservative in those times, salt sold for as much as $50 per bushel, and was produced in wood-fired saltworks on the perimeter of the West Bay, East Bay and North Bay and Lake Powell (a.k.a. Lake Ocala). An estimated 2,500 men, primarily from Florida, Georgia and Alabama, were exempted from combat duty in order to labor in the saltworks. The salt was transported to Eufaula, Alabama, then to Montgomery, for distribution throughout the Confederate states. Because of the importance of St. Andrew Bay Saltworks to the Confederacy, acting Master W.R. Browne, commander of the U.S. Restless, was instructed to commence a series of assaults beginning in August 1862. In December 1863, additional Union attacks occurred, which Confederate home guards could not resist. The attacks resulted in the destruction of more than 290 saltworks, valued by Master Browne at more than $3,000,000. The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks employees promptly rebuilt them, and they remained in operation through February 1865.

Sponsors: Sons of Confederate Veterans, Camp 1319 and the Florida Department of State 2003


Notes:

City: Panama City, FL