Historic Markers Across Florida



Salt Kettle



Marker ID: UDC 
Location: Chestnut Avenue (Business U.S. 98) and West 9th Street
County: Bay
Coordinates: N 30° 9.996    W 085° 42.07
  30.1666    -85.70116666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Used by the Confederaacy
during the war between the states
to recover salt from seawater

Presented by
The Confederate
Salt Works Chapter
of the
United Daughters of
The Confederacy
Dedicated April 20, 1960


Notes:

City: Panama City, FL

A significant contribution by the citizens of northwest Florida to the Confederate States of America was salt. A necessary preservative in those times. It was extracted from area bays by boiling until the water evaporated leaving salt. The salt was transported to Eufaula and Montgomery, Alabama, for distribution throughout the Confederate States. It sold for as much as $50 per bushel. The importance of the salt works to the Confederacy made them a target of the Union Navy. Union soldiers and sailors destroyed the works, and Confederates rebuilt them during most of the War Between the States. This kettle was probably used for making syrup before the war but a "salt kettle" between 1861-65. The deep indentions on it were made by hammer blows when Union soldiers attempted to destroy it.