Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Callaway One-Room School House



Marker ID: FLHM F-728
Location: 522 Beulah Avenue, Panama City, FL
County: Bay
Coordinates: N 30° 8.251    W 085° 34.256
  30.13751666    -85.57093333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMV2H4
 



Text:

Old Callaway One-Room School House


The Callaway School House was built in 1911 (two years prior to the creation of Bay County in 1913) on the SW corner of Beulah Avenue and Letohattchee Street. Callaway had been surveyed and platted in 1908 by Pitt Milner Callaway for whom the community is named. AT that time students had to walk several miles through woods and across a small stream to Parker for instruction. “Grandma” Hettina Ettie Fox, who believed every child should have the opportunity to learn to read, spearheaded the drive to build a community school. Ella Callaway Carlisle donated the school’s land. The Washington County School Board, assisted by donations from the community, constructed the school. The first teacher was Kate McMillan. Although serving primarily as a school, it became a social center for the community, hosting church services, socials, Christmas parties, and as a polling place. After the school closed in 1936, the building was used as a church and later as a residence. In 1984, the school was sold to the City of Callaway for one dollar with the stipulation that it be preserved. The building was moved a short distance to John B. Gore Park and was restored by the Callaway Historical Society, Inc.





F- 728 A Florida Heritage Site

Sponsored by the Callaway Historical Society, Inc.m
and the Florida Department of State.
2011