|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Florida
Early Post Office Site in Melbourne
The first 14 years of postal service in Melbourne saw the mail arriving twice weekly by sailboat from Titusville. A black man by the name of Peter Wright brought the mail in a boat named the "Nellie."
The first post office was in Cornthwaite John Hector´s store at Hatterman´s Point (the end of Front Street.) Hector was appointed postmaster on June 17,1880.
About 1897, when Richard W. Goode became postmaster, the post office was relocated to this building. Goode was Melbourne´s seventh postmaster. He also operated a real estate office in this building.
On a visit to his native Chicago in 1912, Goode was killed by an elevated railroad train. Edward P. Branch succeeded him as postmaster.
Sponsored by: The Goode Family in memory of Richard Walter Goode