Historic Markers Across Florida



Eau Gallie Library



Marker ID:  
Location: 1521 Pineapple Ave., Eau Gallie
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 7.93    W 080° 37.57
  28.13216666    -80.62616666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Eau Gallie Woman´s Club started the first library in the community by circulating books donated by members.

The first home of the library was in Ella Rossetter´s insurance office on Ninth Street (now Eau Gallie Boulevard.) There were 25 books on the shelves. The year was 1939.

Subsequent locations of the library, as it grew, were Ada Stabler´s Restaurant, Bau Gallie City Hall and the civic center building on Highland Avenue. By 1955, the volunteer staff numbered three and the books 3,511.

This library was the first in the county to adopt the Dewey Decimal System.

This building was erected in 1962 and was the first permanent home of the library.
Books were moved down the hill from the civic center by a "book brigade" of concerned citizens. Even the U.S. Letter Carrier helped transport books.

Sponsored by: Melbourne Library Board