Historic Markers Across Florida



First Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 110 E. New Haven Ave., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1887 when this church was organized, there were 17 houses clustered within a one-mile radius of Crane Creek.

A circuit riding minister, a Rev. Black from Georgiana Methodist Church on Merritt Island, is credited with the organization. He sailed over the first Sunday of each month to hold services.

The first church building was built in the late 1880´s just west of the Florida East Coast 34
Railroad right of way on New Haven Avenue. Cost: $1,000.
The first resident pastor was the Rev. Louis J. Hole who came here in 1893 from Ohio. The church building was moved about 1904 to the comer of New Haven Avenue and Orange Street (now Municipal Lane.)

In the mid-1920´s, an impressive new sanctuary was started on the comer of Waverly Place, Palmetto Avenue and Strawbridge Avenue, but because of the depression, it was not completed for almost two decades. Even that church became outgrown, and the present church was built in 1958.