Historic Markers Across Florida



First Post Office Site



Marker ID:  
Location: Front Street, near downtown Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 4.709    W 080° 36.008
  28.07848333    -80.60013333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Here at what was once known as Hatterman´s Point, in the early years, Cornthwaite John Hector settled and had a store built, completed in 1880 by carpenter U. D. Henderson of Bau Gallie.

Hector was described as "tall, heavy-set, with white hair and a great square beard. He was strong as a bull." Most of the time he wore a derby hat on his head. This was an influence of his British origin.

In 1878, when Hector first appeared in the area, he was about 43 years old. He migrated here from Melbourne, Australia, where it was reported he had deserted a common-law wife and five children. Hector maintained he came to the Crane Creek area to search for his Step-father, a Dr. Iles

Hector is credited with organizing the first community band in Melbourne. He also became Melbourne´s first postmaster on June 17, 1880.

Sponsored by: Florida National Bank of Brevard County