Historic Markers Across Florida



First Telephone Switchboard



Marker ID:  
Location: Palmetto Avenue, east of U.S. 1, Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The first telephone switchboard in Melbourne was installed in this house in 1906 and operated here until 1912, with Mrs. Mazie Goode as switchboard operator.

The switchboard was in the front room of the Goode residence. Mrs. Goode used to do the family washing outside the window and watch the switchboard at the same time.

Brevard County Telephone System owned the telephones in town and phone numbers were two-digit numbers.

In 1906 there were 15 telephones in Melbourne and people seldom used their phones after 10 p.m. It was also understood in town that the switchboard was closed on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. so the Goode Family could go fishing.

Sponsored by: Southern Bell Tel. and Tel. Co.