Historic Markers Across Florida



Florida Agricultural College



Marker ID:  
Location: Pineapple Avenue, between Law Street & Aurora Road, Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this site in 1875, the State of Florida built the first unit of the Florida Agricultural College. Over 2,000 acres had been donated by William H. Gleason for that purpose. A two-story coquina rock structure consisting of 10 classrooms and offices, and an annex of frame construction for the kitchen and storage, were built.

The college treasurer reported to the state legislature that the school was ready "with a fine pair of mules, double and single harness, a wagon and cart ... "

But the college never opened here. In 1876, the Republican Party was replaced in office by the Democrats and an act of the new legislature endowed a new board of trustees who moved the college from Eau Gallie to Lake City. Eventually, the college moved to Gainesville to become the University of Florida.

In 1884, the 2,000 acres were deeded back to W. H. Gleason. He bought the buildings the state had erected and these buildings became the first hotel in Eau Gallie. It was called the Granada Hotel. It was destroyed by fire in 1902.

Dedicated to: William H. Gleason, Namer of Eau Gallie lry: Catherine Gleason O´Malley, Rob Gleason Gordon, Isabelle L. Gleason, W. Lansing Gleason