Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-231
Location: South Palm Avenue
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 39.782    W 080° 50.429
  28.66303333    -80.84048333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFWB
 



Text:

St. Gabriel's
Episcopal Church


In 1887, construction of a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town´s founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John´s to St. Gabriels´s with the gift in 1888 of a stained glass window depicting St. Gabriel. The neo-Gothic style reflects a trend in Episcopal Church architecture in central Florida during the late 1800´s. This style was spread through the efforts of Edwin G. Weed, third bishop of Florida. The church, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, contains a fine collection of Victorian stained glass.





F-231 St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church in cooperation
with Department of State.
1974



Notes:

City: Titusville, FL