Historic Markers Across Florida



Harbor City Hotel



Marker ID:  
Location: Comer of Pineapple Avenue & Eau Gallie Boulevard, Eau Gallie area
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 7.87    W 080° 37.57
  28.13116666    -80.62616666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On the north side of this site, in 1893, the first railroad station of the Florida East Coast Railroad was built, with the tracks ending at the dock extending into the river. Freight and passengers were loaded off the railroad and onto river boats for the journey south. Eau Gallie was, for a time, the southern terminus of the railroad.

After the railroad was built on down the coast, the depot was moved to what is now the comer of Law Street and Guava Avenue. The railroad spur to the dock remained for a number of years.

In 1902 the East Coast Lumber and Supply Co. organized and its planing mill and novelty works were located at this site. The mill had an artesian well which powered a waterwheel. As the waterwheel turned it created electricity for the mill and also for George F. Paddison´s house, six blocks south. Paddison was the owner of the lumber company.

In 1925, the Harbor City Hotel was built here, with Dr. W.J. Creel president of the firm owning it. Estimated cost of the building was $150,000. Informal opening ceremonies were held at the hotel May 8, 1926, with J. L. Allen as managing director. The next month the hotel was sold to Mrs. George Thome of Chicago for $250,000.

The name of the hotel was changed to Oleanders Hotel and much later the Imperial. In recent years it has been known as River House.

Sponsored by: Indian River Federal Savings and Loan Assoc.