Historic Markers Across Florida



Lincoln Hotel



Marker ID:  
Location: 1950 S. Academy Drive, Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates: N 28° 4.767    W 080° 37.683
  28.07945    -80.62805
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The south side of this building was originally built in 1923 as the home for the Ernest Kouwen-Hoven family. During the year they lived in it, it was the scene of many spectacular parties, as well as more down-to-earth "crab-boils" held on the spacious lawn.

Punchased in 1926 by the Widrig Brothers, additions were made to the building and it became the Lincoln Hotel. The hopes of the Widrigs to make Melbourne another Palm Beach with their beautiful hostelry, did not materialize.

In 1957 the hotel was sold to A. J. Rimer who renamed it the Belcelona Hotel.

It operated under this name until 1961 when it was sold to Jonathan Dwight to become Florida Air Academy.