Historic Markers Across Florida



Macedonia Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 2729 Lipscomb St., Melbourne
County: Brevard
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Florida East Coast Railroad had not reached Melbourne in 1891, when the first sanctuary of the Macedonia Baptist Church was built at a site on East Brothers Avenue.

The first pastor, the Rev. Parson Miller, and a parishioner, J. E. Austell, transported the lumber to build the church from TItusville, bringing it to Melbourne by boat. About a dozen church members assisted the pastor in erecting the small, 20-foot square church building.

Ground-breaking ceremonies for this sanctuary were held in 1970, when church members marched from the old sanctuary on Brothers Avenue to this site, singing, "We´ve come this far by faith." This church was completed in 1975 and dedicated August 17 of that year.

Sponsored fry: Melbourne Garden Club, Inc